Saturday, April 12, 2008

Track Meet and Bird Feeders

Jordan had a track meet today at Watervliet. It was an all day invitational from 8 to 4 (she is still there). Don't let this photo fool you. I wish this is what the weather was like today. It's a photo from last year. Instead it is 39 degrees, windy and raining steadily all day. Needless to say I didn't even bother taking the camera with me today. Jordan's events were at 1:00 and 2:00. I was bundled up in many layers, coats, hat, gloves, a blanket wrapped around me, towels for the bleacher seats, umbrella and still I was miserable. Craig and I braved the first event but then we left before her second event. I was quite disappointed that they didn't cancel the meet. I really don't think those kids needed to be out in this all day and there were hardly any spectators. What fun is that for them. There is another invitational at Hartford next Saturday. The weather has got to be better. We didn't even stay long enough to see where Jordan placed.
On a better note.... I've been on a mission the last few days. When Jordan and I were in South Haven last week one of the gift shops had the most unique beautiful bird feeder. It was hand made of mostly glass. I stood there drooling over it for a few minutes knowing that I couldn't buy it with the $75 price tag that was on it. Then I thought "I bet I could make that myself, with Craig's help of course". Craig just loves it when I come up with these crazy ideas (don't you honey). Anyway, I tried to get a really good mental image of it (I didn't think the store owner would appreciate me taking a photo of it). "No problem" I told myself, "We can do it".
So for the last few days I've been hitting the antique shops and flea markets in search of the pieces that I need. I now have all the pieces and I am pretty proud of myself for being resourceful and finding things at a good bargain. Now there is only one step left before it can be assembled but it's the hardest step. We need to drill holes into the glass pieces. Craig isn't thrilled about drilling in glass for fear that he will break it. But he did pick up a glass cutting drill bit at the hardware store today. We will test it on some old glass to see if it will work. If not I may have to take the pieces to a glass and mirror shop for the holes to be drilled.
Hopefully early next week I will be able to show you my masterpiece that I am proud to say only cost me about $15 instead of $75!!
But here's something I can show you. My newest woodpecker feeder. This was so easy. I went out the wood pile and picked out a log and Craig drilled 6 holes in it that I stuffed with suet. I know the woodpeckers will love it. I am pleasantly surprised at all the woodpeckers I see on a daily basis in my trees and on my feeders. Mostly I have Downy Woodpeckers but Red Bellies also visit. I'll be out hanging this up as soon as the rain stops.

No comments: