Friday, February 20, 2009

I want to learn to draw

In a second hand store the other day I picked up a book on keeping a nature journal.  I liked the idea and purchased the book.  I think the concept is great.... keeping a journal of your sights and thoughts while birding, gardening or whatever you are doing out in nature.  In addition to writing in the journal you are encouraged to draw or sketch a lot of what you see.  That didn't sound too hard.... until I tried to draw a bird.  I haven't a clue how to draw anything!  But I so wish I did.
 
My next thought was "Maybe I could teach myself".  I went to my local craft store and bought a colored pencil set and a sketch pad.  Then I got on Amazon and bought 2 books on drawing birds.  They haven't arrived yet but I am anxiously checking my mailbox daily.  I'm going to give it a shot.  Of course the above sketch is not one that I did... It's one that I borrowed off the internet and it's one that I can only hope to do half as well at.  I will never be a James Audubon or a Roger Tory Peterson but if I could learn to draw a bird that people would be able to recognize then I will be happy.  

Tonight while I was watching TV I took out my colored pencil set and sharpened all 49 pencils with an old fashion hand twist sharpener.  My thumbs are still hurting.   

6 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Wow Jessica... I thought that IF you drew that sketch, WELL---you already knew how to draw. I was gonna tell you not to bother buying those books. BUT--since you didn't draw it, you will have something to strive for. It's a gorgeous sketch... Good Luck!!!

Hope you have a great weekend.
Hugs,
Betsy

Ben said...

With 49 sharp pencils, you are ready to go!

Anonymous said...

Jane @ quiddity.typepad.com is taking drawing lessons. You are the second of my blog friends to want to learn to draw.

Good luck with your endeavor. Having 49 sharpened pencils is a good start.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Good luck.I bet you will soon be drawing beautiful birds.
Blessings,Ruth
P.S.I always said I wasn't a photographer,now I would rather shoot than work.

Anonymous said...

I think it is aways a great thing when we get brave enough to try something new. A couple years ago I knew nothing about blogging or photography. For the last two months I have been taking a class on jewelry making. It's fun but a bit overwhelming. (last week's lesson involved a propane torch) I know you'll have a fun time learning and I can't wait to see your drawings.

Christy said...

Just remember the more you practice the better you will get at it. I learned this over the years. I never thought of myself as a creative person until about ten years ago. I wish the best for you on your venture and look forward to what you might have to share with us one day.