Tuesday, October 14, 2008

My new business

It's not really a business but something I'm doing for fun. A few weeks back I showed you an antique bird bath that I made. I came up with the idea to make a bunch and try to sell them. If for no other reason simply because I love to go to antique places and flea markets and scour through junk. It's great fun to stumble across unique pieces and put them together. The tops are all antique ceiling lamp fixtures. And the bases are anything I can find such as plant stands, candle holders, old ashtray stands. One is even the base of a piano stool.
My Mom grows violets, and streps (a cousin of the violet) and always sells them at a few shows in the fall. She let me put my birdbaths in her booth to see if they would sell. I was thrilled to sell 3 out of 4 that I took. I doubled the price that I have in them, selling them for $50 to $70 each. Of course I won't be quitting my day job but at least it's a fun thing to do that will pay for itself. I'm done with the birdbaths for this year but next spring and summer I may try to make a few more. Also, notice the bluebird houses in the photos. My Dad made those and sold them. And last I wanted to show you my new bird feeder. I know.... like I needed another bird feeder. But really I do... This one was placed by the living room window so I can enjoy the view.
Craig just put it up last night so I haven't seen a bird on it yet but I love the view already!

7 comments:

Jen said...

You're a genius! Continued success to you in your new adventure.

Shelley said...

A great business idea!!! Congrats! You could even set up your own free online shop on Yahoo or Etsy - your birdbaths are so cute!

Minerva said...

Those are so cool. I agree- you ought to set up an Etsy shop. My daughter did it, and it's supposed to be pretty easy..
Hope to see great pictures of birds on that feeder in the future!

Anonymous said...

I love your bird baths. What a clever Idea. I wish you much success.

Laura said...

Cool! Good luck!

mj said...

I love the bird baths. What unique idea!

Denise said...

Those are the loveliest bird baths that I've ever seen. I've found your site by Shelley. I agree with the other posters. You should set up an account at Etsy!