Sunday, October 19, 2008

I wish you could see what I see

I'm sitting at the kitchen table with the laptop looking out the bay window to the side yard where most of my bird feeders are.  It's a great bird day!!  In the 5 minutes I have been sitting here I've watched the Tufted Titmice flitter back and fourth grabbing peanuts.  They never stay long, only long enough to grab their delight and fly back to a branch to enjoy it.  The Chickadees are doing the same, although they prefer the black oil sunflower seeds.  And I can hear the chick-a-dee-dee-dee song they are singing.  

The Downey Woodpecker is gracing me with his presence eating away at the woodpecker suet snack cake.  I love the way he bounces up and down the tree branches almost as if he's dancing.  

And my Red Bellied Woodpecker is gliding in for a peanut or two every few minutes.  It is a male and I am hopeful that it is the baby Red Bellied that I watched grow up this past summer.  He was one of my favorite birds this summer and it was a privilege to watch him grow and learn.  Every few days his red head became more evident.  And watching his parents lead him around the yard to different food sources was awesome.

The Bluejays are out this afternoon too.  They are landing on the feeder two and three at a time chasing the little birds away.  Unlike the Titmice and Chickadees, they will stay right on the feeder eating to the point of gorging themselves.  But soon they are gone and the little birds return.

A female Cardinal has briefly stopped to see what she can find.  She chooses a peanut and disappears.  I suspect the male is close by.  

And I am enjoying the White Breasted Nuthatches.  I see two out there now doing their acrobats.  I love the way they cling upside and hop all over the feeder.   

Sparrows are flying down in bunches.  They scratch around like chickens until they find their favorite treat.  

I am half tempted to get up and take a photo to post but it will only scare the birds away and I am enjoying the scenery too much......  

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I was sitting in your kitchen with you and seeing that too!

Minerva said...

You don't need a photo. Your words worked just fine.

Anonymous said...

A few more weeks and our bird population will EXPLODE. I promise I'll get over to the sanctuary on Merritt Island and get some photos.

We were there a few weeks ago. Saw one white egret and a juvenile white egret. There were some ducks, but they were too far off for me to identify the type.

Shelley said...

You are taunting me! I am grabbing my camera and driving over to your house right now! I will pick up a "bird blind" on the way!

Jen said...

Ha, yeah, better not russell their feathers.

Ben said...

Man, talk about a cast of thousands. Sounds like a birder's paradise over there,

Liquid said...

Oh, I want to come see! I'll bring sunflower seeds and coffee!

Shelley said...

P.S. I got your gift!!! Come visit my log blog...