Monday, March 17, 2008

Did you wear green today?

Happy St. Patrick's Day! I can't say that I am really that into this particular day. I came downstairs this morning and Jordan says "You're not wearing green Mom". No, why should I when as soon as I get to work I have to change into blue OR scrubs. I'm not trying to be a stick in the mud, it's just one of those days that I never give much thought to. Maybe if I was Irish I would think differently.

One thing I have found interesting is the dyeing of the Chicago river green on St. Patrick's Day. I think someday I might like to witness it as I only live 100 miles from Chicago but I probably never will. I can imagine the crowds are really bad in downtown Chicago today. I wondered how they did it and why they did it and I found this explanation on a Google search.........

"Chicago is famous for a somewhat peculiar annual event: dyeing the Chicago River green. The tradition started in 1962, when city pollution-control workers used dyes to trace illegal sewage discharges and realized that the green dye might provide a unique way to celebrate the holiday. That year, they released 100 pounds of green vegetable dye into the river—enough to keep it green for a week! Today, in order to minimize environmental damage, only forty pounds of dye are used, making the river green for only several hours."

Did you wear green today?

2 comments:

Minerva said...

Yes! And shamrock earrings! I am part Irish, though. With fair skin and red hair, I look 100% Irish.

nl1990 said...

jessica - the dye they use in the river is actually orange going in! says something about the chicago river, doesn't it?

~nancy

p.s. i live on the "south side" of chicago and have actually been down there for the parade and it's always huge crowd along the bridges watching them dye the river :)