Saturday, January 24, 2009

A day with the birds

Craig was busy today putting accessories on a Jeep for the fire department so I grabbed my camera and headed on over to Sarett Nature Center.  I bought a membership and the director of the facility gave me a tour of the new building and spent some time talking to me about birds... my favorite topic.  He was the nicest man.  He asked me if I had ever seen a Common Redpoll.  No, I hadn't but it was on my list of hopefuls.  He said they had about 4 hanging around.  
Sure enough!  Here is the little beauty.  He's really tiny.  Isn't he adorable?
And I spotted a Carolina Wren.  Some of my southern friends may wonder what's so big about spotting a Carolina Wren?  They rarely stay here in winters and I have never seen one before today.  
It's amazing how many birds you see there.  I guess that comes from years and years of constant feeding.  It's so fun to sit in the observation room and watch out the windows.  
Sarett just finished building a tree top walkway that looks amazing.  I started to make my way over to venture out on it but it was quite a hike away and I wasn't dressed for it.  I only had tennis shoes on and the snow was up to my knees so I changed my mind and headed back.  I'll return when I'm better prepared and check it out.  The director said they are especially excited to have the tree top walkway when springs comes around.  
I'm going to make Sarett one of my more regular stops.  

8 comments:

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Wow,that sounds like a great place to go for birding and photography.
I'm glad you got to see the Redpoll,they are so cute.We have several around this winter.
Blessings,Ruth

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures. I love the cardinals.

I haven't heard our cardinal in awhile. Maybe he migrated somewhere.

Ruth said...

I saw my first Carolina Wren this month. They are rarely found here in Ontario except in a few areas in the extreme south. It was in the brush, not in the open like yours. Nice pictures.

Shelley said...

You captured so many wonderful bird photos! I love those redpolls! I want to visit this place too!!

Ben said...

Looks like a great place to spend some time - a lot of time! - watching your feathered friends. Those carolina wrens are getting around!

Minerva said...

What a wonderful place! And photo ops galore! That redpoll is so cute.

Anonymous said...

Great photos. I have a Carolina Wren hanging around. I'll post his picture soon. I'd love to spend a day at a nature center like that.

Sit A Spell said...

Never seen that bird! Love it...and the Carolina wren is a fav of this southern girls and have not seen them here in MI! How fun!!!