Saturday, August 11, 2007

School Clothes Shopping

I'm not sure how well this cartoon will show up but in case you cannot read what it says...."Let me see if I have this right...You want a home equity loan to help pay for a backpack, Lucky brand jeans and tennis shoes?".

I thought this was funny. But you know, some parents go to the extreme when it comes to buying back to school clothes. Jordan and I went shopping today for a few things that she needs and I picked up a few things for Caleb too. We went to Kohl's and our total bill was $133. I got Caleb 6 shirts, and Jordan 2 pairs of jeans, 1 shirt, 3 pairs of earrings, 2 bras, 2 pairs of pj's, and a water bottle for band practices. I was thrilled with the haul I got for only $133. We still have to pick up a few more things and shoes too but we made a big dent in it today.

A few of us got to talking about buying back to school clothes at work the other day. One particular mother said that her daughter refuses to wear anything but designer clothes and that she will spend about $1000 just for her. Wow!! She said that her jeans alone are $98 each. That's what I'm talking about when I say extreme. Jordan is thrilled with her $20 or $30 jeans and if we can find them for $10 on clearance we are all the more happy. And if I do say so myself, Jordan will look every bit as good as the kid that is wearing the $98 jeans. But on the other hand, I'm not sure if anyone from Hartford will be wearing those $98 jeans anyway.

Today was fun, I actually enjoy school clothes shopping. Mostly because I'm not spending $1000 per kid.

2 comments:

Balboa said...

ha ha ha, as a teacher, I see kids wearing pants that cost more than my whole outfit, including shoes and purse!!!!!!

Karen

Frasier said...

Well,I have step kids so I dont have the problem !But I understand what you are talking about.My step daughter walks in with a $40.00 pair of jeans that her mother who could not afford it in the first place bought for her and I have the same pair that I bought for .99 cents at my thrift store!