Sunday, August 19, 2007

Mural/Kalamazoo Soldier

The family went to Craig's company picnic today. This year they had it at the Air Zoo in Kalamazoo, an aviation museum at the airport. Although I am not really into planes I will say it was interesting. And I have to tell you about the mural. I have always loved murals on the outsides of buildings but this one was indoors at the museum. In fact, it holds the world record for being the largest indoor mural. It covers almost 26,000 sq. feet. It's called "Century of Flight" and traces aviation history from hot air balloons to modern space flight. It is beautiful!! The few pictures I am posting do not do it justice. The flash of my camera takes away from the paintings. These pictures barley show a tiny bit of it but you can get an idea. There were so many cool airplanes flying high on the walls but my camera wouldn't capture the picture up that high.
We saw a film while we were there too. It was a 4-D movie of WWII planes in combat. Sure makes you think...... and appreciate what those men and women went through for us.
While we were eating our lunch at the museum we were witness to an incredible site. A soldier from Kalamazoo was killed in Afghanistan on the 13th. We saw his funeral procession drive by the museum. I'm not sure how many fire trucks and police cars were leading but I have never seen anything like that in my life. I cannot think about it without getting emotional. I am praying for that family tonight.

2 comments:

Balboa said...

Those murals are just gorgeous, I love the one of the plane, I saw a silver box in the middle of the trees and when I zoomed I realized it was a "Pull for Fire". That really shows how large the mural~ WOW.

Frasier said...

We have an aviation muesum near us too and it is so interesting.Even for a person like me who is not really into planes !!
Will check out your new blog