Sunday, August 17, 2008

Log Cabin Reading

My online friend Shelly from Birding in Michigan and Building a Log Cabin had an interesting post last week asking her readers to recommend books that would make good log cabin reading. Although I haven't read these books in a log cabin I think they would fit right in.
I love true life wilderness adventure books. I found "Indian Creek Chronicles" in an amazon search for such books and thought I would give it a try.... I liked it. It's about a college kid that takes a job for the state of Idaho where he spends seven months alone during the winter in a tent guarding salmon eggs in a river. He takes his dog Boone with him. I think that most people in this position would go insane from the solitude but he keeps busy and has some really interesting adventures to tell.
"Good Birders Don't Wear White" was recommend in a birding magazine that I was reading so I ordered it. I'm glad I did. It's easy reading and entertaining. Of course you have to like birding or bird watching to appreciate it. I learned a lot of little tricks from this book.
OK, so I had to stick a bird field guide in here, "The Backyard Bird Lover's Field Guide". What would a log cabin be without a field guide? Since I have become so engrossed in birds this year I have acquired a little collection of field guides. I maybe have 5 but this one is my favorite. In addition to bird identification it also has lots of little essays and interesting tidbits. The birds photos are wonderful and it categories birds according to area of the US, such as the Midwest.
My last book I couldn't find a cover photo on Google so I posted the author's photo. This is Roger Troy Peterson. He's probably the most famous birder in all of America in his time. He also was an incredible artist. He published his paintings of birds in the Peterson Field Guide that you may be familiar with. Anyway, he also had a show on National Public Radio "All Things Reconsidered" (hence the name of the book). This book is a collection of he birding adventures that he talked about on the radio show. It is fascinating. I loved the one about finding the elusive Ivory Billed Woodpecker. Again, if you like birding you will love this book.
I attached links to Amazon in the book titles if you would like to read more about them. Happy reading!!

3 comments:

Shelley said...

Jessica - all excellent suggestions! And the first book definitely sounds up my alley - I love survival - man against the wilderness type books! (Better yet, he has a dog too!)

Anonymous said...

I am always looking for a good read. I too like wildeness books. Have you seen the movie "Into the wild" yet? It's on my netflix queue.

Jen said...

no wonder you are so good at your hobby...you work at it and that's a good thing!