Friday, July 4, 2008

Weird Object (Chicken) Friday

When we moved into our house I decided that I wanted to do my kitchen in chickens and roosters.... much to Craig's disapproval, but he has learned to live with them. He does occasionally threaten to start butchering some chickens when I get carried away.
A few years ago my Aunt Bell called me up and told me that she was bringing over a gift for me. This chicken cookie jar.
What's so weird about that? Apparently some 37 years ago my Mother made this for her. I'm not sure if you can see the inscription on the bottom but it has my Mothers initials and the date 1971 on the bottom. Aunt Bell thought that I should have it. Who would have thought that all these years later I would be decorating my kitchen in chickens and that I would be the owner of the chicken from so long ago?

6 comments:

Minerva said...

What a great keepsake! I love it when things like that come full circle in a family. Kind of like when I found my Mom's knitting needles.

gerry said...

What a confirmation that you picked the right decor. I love that ended up with something your mother made that wasn't intended for you to begin with but that ended up a perfect fit.

Jen said...

That's a good mother daughter story. :)
I think that may answer the question of which came first; the chicken or the egg.
Maybe not, I'll ponder on it some more. lol

Ben said...

One-of-a-kind chicken! Our kids used to call them "brock-brocks". We have a couple around here that may end up in a WOF post some week.

Anonymous said...

I have one too! It belonged to my mom and I keep spare buttons in it because she did too.

Shelley said...

I like it - it's colorful and different!