Saturday, July 26, 2008

I feel awful

I was gone for a few hours this morning grocery shopping. The first thing I usually do when I get home is go check on my birds and feeders. I almost had a heart attack when I saw this poor wren. He was stuck in the grape jelly that I put out for the orioles. As stated in my previous post the orioles have been gone for several weeks but I am still putting out the jelly for them in hopes that they will return.
I asked Craig to come help me get him off the jelly and told him that we had to rinse his wing off. I didn't figure he could fly with that jelly stuck on his feathers. Our plan was to take him over to the bird bath and rinse him off best we could. Just when Craig was about to grab him he got himself loose from the jelly and flopped to the ground. As suspected, he couldn't fly. He just hopped and flopped around.
We tried to catch him for about 5 minutes or so and one time I actually had a towel over him but he got away from that too. Finally he made his way around the side of the garage and we lost him. Poor little fella!! I feel terrible!! I don't know what's going to become of him if he can't fly with that goo all over his wing. I just went out and brought the jelly back into the house. I don't want any other birds to get stuck. Craig thinks the jelly will dry up in his wing and he will be OK. I'm not so sure. I think Craig was just trying to make me feel better.

5 comments:

Peanut said...

Couldn't he clean his wing off? I don't know much about birds but I would think he could.

Minerva said...

Maybe he'll make it to the bird bath on his own.

Anonymous said...

Feel better, you're intentions were the best!

The Brat Pack said...

I bet he'll be fine and Craig is right. I never considered this happening, I think I'll bring mine in too.

Shelley said...

I'm with margaret - he'll find some water - don't worry!