Wednesday, June 18, 2008

My Project & Wren Nest

I'm not always the most organized person but I thought I'd show you my project from yesterday. Finally Craig and the kids got my shelf assembled for the shed and I put together all my bird seed and feeding items in an organized manner. It's so nice to open the shed and have my seed off the floor. I buy my seed in bulk, usually #40 bags. And I got the idea from one of my bird magazines to store the seed in one gallon milk jugs. The seed stays fresh, and the gallon jugs are great for filling up the feeders without making a mess. Also storing it in the jugs keeps the critters out (mice and such).
And here I think I've been fooled. I put a bluebird nest up in the back yard some months ago. No bluebirds but wrens have built a nest in it. OK, maybe they aren't bluebirds but I decided to be the nice host and let them take up residence there. The nest has been there for over a month now and not one egg had shown up yet. I check it about every 5 days or so. And it isn't like the wrens have abandoned it. They are still there everyday going in and out all day long. I read somewhere that a wren will build a "dummy" nest as a decoy from the real one. Do you think I've been "dummied"?

5 comments:

Shelley said...

I never knew the wrens did that! Are they nesting in one of your other boxes? (By the way - great idea on how you organized your bird seed!)

Minerva said...

That's a pretty good decoy, if they fly in and out of it! Who knew wrens could be so sneaky?
Very good organizational skills! You can come to my house any time. I will show you my yarn stash, and you can work your magic!

Ben said...

That looks like some serious bird feeding going on...but you obviously get rewarded for your efforts. I'd love to have some orioles around here. The latest birds we've been enjoying are some very vocal catbirds.

Liquid said...

decoy's..........they are brilliant and you are so wonderful!

Anonymous said...

I love the way you organized your bird seed. I am going to think about how to do something similar.