Monday, June 29, 2009

Yes, we are still alive

It's been nearly two weeks since my last blog post.  In the 3 years that I've had my blog I don't think I've ever gone that long without a posting.  We've just been busy with the usual summer activities and loving it all.  This past weekend we went camping at Bear Cave in Buchanan again, you might remember that we were there 3 weeks ago.  This time Craig's sister and her family went with us.  Above is a photo of Craig cooking his hobo pie over the campfire.  
I like this photo of Craig... My hubby always has to be busy doing something, wether it's working on the latest project in the garage, working in the yard, or just plain fixing something.  It's not very often that I can get him to just kick back.  
Here is our campsite.  You might notice that the sites were on cement slabs and had little cement patios on them.  I liked that!
My brother in law Jon taught us how to make hobo pies.  I made a blueberry one.  It was better than blueberry pancakes.  Now I am convinced that we have to buy some of those pie makers.  
This was the view of the river from our campsite.  Early Friday when I was walking Zoe I spotted a pileated woodpecker on the tree.  I ran for my camera but by the time I got back he was gone.  
We took Zoe with us.  This is mostly what she did.  She is so laid back that it's easy to take her camping.  Seadra spent the weekend with my parents.  Seadra thinks she at the 5 star hotel when she gets to stay with them so I don't feel bad about leaving her.  
As I mentioned before, Craig's sister and her family joined us for the weekend.  They go camping often and the girls were a lot of fun.   
Bailey at the pool.
Jordan and Lauren
Hence the name "Bear Cave" campground there is a cave that you can explore at the campground.  Last time we were there we opted not to go in because of reports that is was really wet in there... and the fact that I was chicken.  
This time everyone wanted to go in including a 5 and 9 year old so I had to be brave.  It really was pretty neat.  I liked it except when the bat came flying towards us!!!!  
This cave was used by Indians and slaves were hidden here by the underground railroad movement.  
It was a nice weekend!  It will be several weeks before we can go camping again.  We are hoping to go a little farther next time... like Silver Lake or even farther north.  

And I'll try not to neglect my blog for so long next time.  Hope you all are enjoying your summer!  

6 comments:

Shelley said...

Hi Jessica - looks like a fun trip! you'll have to tell us more about those hobo pies - you have me intrigued!

P.S. IF you are going father north next time - will you be passing by Gaylord?? :-) hint, hint!

Minerva said...

Nice pictures, Jessica! How nice to have a waterside camp site. It's been years since I've gone camping. Your pictures bring it all back. And Zoe looks like she had a good time too! Did she get a hobo pie?

Ben said...

Wow, what a wonderful view! That looks great. And Zoe certainly looks like a seasoned camper with no worries!

Jen said...

Glad you are enjoying your summer and your family. going down under is a good time. :)

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Looks and sounds like fun.Summer is so short so enjoy every minute of it.
Blessings,Ruth

Laura said...

Cool! I want to take Kyle down to the cave now!