Saturday, May 3, 2008

It's a great morning

Sorry friends for missing WOF... I'll play along again next week. Look what has been visiting me (and my hummingbird feeder) for the last 2 days. An Oriole!!! I have never seen one of these birds before. About 2 years ago I set some oranges out on the fence post in hopes of attracting some but all I attracted was ants. Yesterday I was standing on the back porch looking through my binoculars when I saw something orange flash before me. He landed not 10 feet from me. At first I had no clue what kind of bird he was. Then he flew over to the hummingbird feeder and I knew it must be an Oriole. He came back again in the evening and this morning he is making the rounds around the yard feasting on the sugar water. I've been scouring the Internet to get ideas on food and feeders for him. I'm on my way to the store for oranges...... Yahoo!!!
My birds are becoming more thrilling to me all the time. This morning I was awaken to the sweet songs of my birds calling me (at least I like to think they are calling me). I go out in the mornings to give them fresh water and put feed out on the ground feeders. Then I watch the busy activity of beautiful birds (even plain looking birds are beautiful to me). Just this morning I have seen Rose Breasted Grosbeaks, Sparrows, Cardinals, Nuthatches, Red Bellied Woodpeckers, Downy Woodpeckers, Blue Jays, Robins, Goldfinches, Chickadees and of course my new friend Mr. Oriole!! It's a great morning!

Today is the Blossomtime Parade of which Jordan is marching so we will be at the parade for a few hours this afternoon. The rain is suppose to hold off thank goodness. And then tonight is Prom. Caleb and 18 of his friends are going to dinner in Kazoo and then to Prom and the after prom party all night. Craig is chaperoning... I'll be sleeping. I'll post photos tomorrow. Have a great Saturday!!

4 comments:

The Brat Pack said...

Your Oriole is stunning! OK, you've motivated me to get up and go work on my feeders. The birds of Texas thank you. ;)

Ben said...

You should keep track of how many types of birds you attract in one year. It would be a large number!

Minerva said...

Coming from where I come from, you know I am very envious of your Oriole sighting! I've only seen one in my entire life. Great pictures. Thanks for making my day with that Oriole.

Shelley said...

I enjoyed every photo - the oriole is great! You reminded me I need to put out a feeder to attract that handsome fellow!