Saturday, September 19, 2009

Kindness

I was the recipient of a random act of kindness from a stranger yesterday. I wanted to share it with you. It was a small thing but had a big impact on me. I was at work and it was lunch time. I was in the hospital cafeteria in line at the cash register getting ready to pay for my lunch. Just as I was handing my debit card to the cashier to pay for my salad a stranger walks up to the cashier and hands the cashier a $5 bill as he says... "I'm buying her lunch today". This man, I'm guessing he was in his 50's, was a total stranger to me. And I have to admit... my first reaction was what kind of a sleazy weirdo was he, was he trying to hit on me or something? People just don't do that type of thing for no reason. No sooner had that thought entered my mind he says to me "Return the favor to someone else someday" and then he disappeared. I barely got the chance to utter Thank You. The cashier must have sensed my apprehension as he proceeded to tell me not to worry because he was harmless and often does that. WOW!

I couldn't get the smile off my face all the way back to my department. I didn't need that man to buy my lunch. Just the fact that there are people in this world who are willing to do such a thing made me smile. I bet he has no idea that I am still thinking about that small gesture he made yesterday or that I am blogging about it today.

Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness: kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile..... Mother Teresa

1 comment:

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Wow!We need more people like that around.Hmm,maybe I could start the trend.
Blessings,Ruth