Friday, September 8, 2006

He's on his way!!!



Did you hear? We are getting a new baby.....The canine kind. I got a call from the Boston Terrier Rescue people yesterday asking if we were ready for our first foster dog. Seems they have 6 dogs all the sudden that need fostering. I know very little about the dog we are getting but here is what I do know........

He is a 2 year old male dog that was at a shelter in Traverse City. I don't know if he was a stray or a surrender. Someone from Detroit went and rescued him from the shelter. They are taking him to a volunteer in Sturgis tonight and we are getting him in the morning. The volunteer on the phone last night told me that all she was told about him was that he is very good with people and dogs. Hopefully I will learn more details tomorrow.

I am very excited and a little nervous too. I want this to be a wonderful experience and I am nervous about the temperament of the dog. I expressed this to the volunteer and she assured me that everyone has the same thoughts. She assured me that the organization will work closely with us to make sure that everything is going well.

I took the paperwork up to my vets office and talked to them about our adventure. I have to have him to the vet within 48 hours.

I was like a new mother shopping in preparation for his arrival this morning. I went to 5 stores before I found the right crate. It took me 20 minutes to pick out just the right collar and leash. And now I am trying to think of a name. The volunteer told me that since he came from a shelter that he probably doesn't have a name and we can name him. Craig suggested "Spud". I think I'll wait and see what his personality is like before I decide on a name.

I'm sitting in an empty living room waiting for our new furniture to arrive. We had the carpets cleaned a few days ago in preparation. We got a leather couch with a matching chair and ottoman and a rocker recliner. We also got a new computer desk. This is the first time in our married life that we have gotten a whole room full of new furniture. Twenty years of married life; I think I was overdue.

More to follow..............

No comments: